Friday, March 11, 2011

Why not Cross Country Ski?

So in my last post I mentioned that Tomme and I were in Breckinridge, CO having some winter fun at the courtesy of a time share company (and no they did not convince us to buy a time share). But we had a blast getting to spend a few days in the mountains on their time. Originally we thought we would spend quite a few days at Copper mountain doing our typical downhill skiing, but we ended up doing several days of cross country skiing, and it got me thinking that people are really underutilizing this sport in the states.

We had a blast doing cross country, plus we got to avoid all the crowds at the ski resorts, had a much more consistent cardio workout, and it shortened our drive time. Why isn't cross country skiing more popular? It may be all the work that is necessary. I mean I watched our guys compete in the last winter Olympics, and despite being about as fit as any human could expect to be, they pretty much collapsed the second they crossed the finish line. However I happened to like the hard work and calorie burn, and it gives me the excuse I need to get that Cold Stone Creamery milk shake on the way home. Plus it is much more serene and meditative than having to avoid the crowds of people on the trails of the ski resort. And the final big hell yeah for me is that you only need snow, not a tall mountain to do it. As lucky as we are to live in CO and be just a few hours from world class downhill skiing, those few hours can feel pretty long after a day on the slopes. But finding a place to cross country ski nearby is no problem.

We have enjoyed it so much this season, the equipment has made it to our gear list, and I think we will end up doing more cross country next year than downhill. While I hope not too many others join the party, more people need to at least give it a try.




The not so bad view from one of the Nordic centers outside Breckinridge, CO.

No comments:

Post a Comment